Don’t you just love cinnamon?! It smells incredible, tastes amazing and is such a versatile spice – used in cooking, hot drinks, oils, skin care and fragrances. There really is nothing better than a good book, a comfortable seat and a big mug of warm almond chai, lathered in cinnamon powder on a cold dreary day… BUT, were you aware of the incredible health benefits this elegant little role of bark also offers?
- It is great for controlling blood sugar levels and aids those with insulin resistance by helping the body to metabolize sugar in a more efficient manner, making it perfect for diabetes sufferers
- It is great for weight loss as the Coumarin in cinnamon helps to naturally thin blood, which improves circulation and boosts metabolism
- Cinnamon is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, helping the body to fight off free radicals and damage to the heart and arteries. It has also been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol & triglycerides levels while increasing HDL-C (good cholesterol). All of which helps to prevent heart disease
- Cinnamon is also antibacterial / antimicrobial and may help in treating fungal issues within the body. Due to its antibacterial properties, cinnamon makes a perfect natural preservative and has been widely used as such in many Asian countries for centuries
- Cinnamon’s high levels of manganese helps with symptoms of PMS, as well as arthritis & osteoporosis
- Cinnamon has also shown to improve mental alertness, brain function, memory & cognitive development
- A digestive cinnamon has been proven useful in reducing painful symptoms of IBS and other digestive issues
- Some other health benefits of cinnamon are: neutralizes odour, is a calming massage therapy oil, prevents tooth decay & gum disease, natural insect repellant, fights sore throats & colds, mood enhancer, fights against stomach bugs & flu’s, prevents candida/yeast infections, plus much more..
Note: When possible, always use organic – you can taste a dramatic difference in organic powdered cinnamon to that of commercially store bought, and it is well worth the few extra dollars!!